- This event has passed.
Teepa Talk: Oregon Care Partners, Portland, OR
This event is now sold out
In this workshop, nationally recognized dementia-care and training specialist Teepa Snow will guide you through practical and effective strategies and techniques that can help you provide optimal support and care for a loved one or individual who is living with dementia. Teepa’s approach emphasizes that people can shine in any stage and focuses on a person’s retained abilities and preferences. Presenting with exceptional expertise and humor, Teepa will help you understand progression, changing abilities and potential influencing factors on behavior. You will learn to be a detective, discover how physical and verbal communication influence care and learn how to create more positive and meaningful interactions and outcomes. The workshop is comprised of three sessions designed to support caregivers of all levels and can help you improve the quality of life and care of your loved one or people living with dementia in any stage.
Six Pieces of the Puzzle
- Gain a better understanding of dementia-related behaviors and learn about other factors that may contribute to the expression of challenging behaviors from the person you are trying to help.
- Learn to use a problem-solving approach and develop effective verbal and physical skills that can help you minimize unproductive conversations, reduce resistance and create more positive outcomes.
Baby Boomers as Caregivers… And Who Will Care for the Boomers?
- Learn about the challenges faced by an aging baby boomer population who are often experiencing caregiving pressure from parents, siblings and children.
- Explore the roles Boomers are taking on, what’s working and what isn’t, and the issues they will face as they begin to require support services for themselves.
Care Partner Grieving, Loss and Coping
- Gain an understanding of the processes of grief and loss and learn how to support yourself or the family members of those in your care.
- Learn about stressors that are common in dementia-care and the side effects of stress on your health and wellbeing.
- Receive helpful strategies for coping and stress management, keeping in mind that you can be the most resourceful and offer the best support for others when you are taking care of yourself.
This event is only for people working or living in Oregon.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org