PAC Certifications FAQ
Virtual Certs Edition
For right now... Teepa Snow will LEAD ALL Virtual Certifications with support from her PAC Mentors.
We know this seems like a hefty price tag, so here is what all you get:
- 7 hours of pre-course work (CE approved)
- PAC materials that you may reproduce, at no fee, to share with those you serve
- 12 full hours with Teepa and the PAC Mentors during your chosen event
- 3 hours of one-on-one follow-up with a PAC Mentor to grow your skills
- Licensed video content to enhance your new PAC Certification Skills
- Your name on our website
- Access to the PAC Certified Independent Community blog, discounts, resources, and Facebook group (over 1,500 members and growing)
- Free monthly webinars with Teepa and the PAC Mentors specific to your Certification
- Updated content and data as we discover more and more about the condition of dementia
Two Day Option:
9:00 am - 4:30 pm in the Time Zone given (check the specific event)
Three Day Option:
4 hours for three consecutive days - times will be given in Eastern Time for you to calculate your own time
As always, please reach out to PAC if you are unsure!
email firstname.lastname@example.org OR call 1-877-877-1671
We know, nothing is like being in person, but we are trying to remain sapphire and flexible, adapting in times of mandated closures. Luckily, we have been a virtual company for 5 years, so we are ready.
We will have a live instructor (Teepa Snow herself!) with PAC Mentors in the room and present virtually to run breakout room discussions and skills practices. All currently registered attendees will be added to the virtual list AND granted free transfer to a later course, if needed.
All virtual attendees will:
Benefit from at least 1 partner in their physical space to practice with throughout the 2-3 days
Need wifi and video accessibility through Zoom for the times listed (please double-check your time zone)
Get access to the manual digitally before the course
Get access to most of the cheat-sheets before the course
Get all hard-copy products sent to your chosen address upon registration
Receive 1:1 attention on your PAC Skills AND your PAC Certification Skills
Work with a mentor 1:1 or in small group for the 6-8 weeks following the course
Access to all materials on our website for your chosen Certification
Certification with the work following the course
Free ticket to an in-person event for all 2020 PAC Certification Course attendees as soon as we are allowed to offer (likely to be in North Carolina in November)
Free transfer to a later in-person course when we are allowed to offer this option again!
Likely be eligible for 12 hours of CEs (Nursing, Social Workers, and Nursing Home Administrators - we are waiting to hear back on this)
All of our courses are recommended for Mental Health Professionals and Nursing Professionals along with any care partners or professionals interested in changing the world of dementia care.
In addition to providing dementia education and skill development each course teaches PAC Skills:
- GEMS® work
- Positive Physical Approach™
Check out the Certification Guide Here for a personal assessment.
Trainer: If you love to educate, don’t mind conducting a workshop in front of a group, and enjoy working with those living with dementia…the Positive Approach Trainer course is for you!
- PAC Certified Independent Trainers help your team and others gain awareness and knowledge related to dementia and the Positive Approach to Care by conducting workshops in a classroom setting.
- Learners are provided an in-depth look into different learning styles, the Adult Experiential Learning Cycle model, and the use of effective facilitation techniques.
Coach: If you prefer working one-on-one with staff, assisting and coaching to understand how to better apply and practice Positive Approach techniques and awareness…the Coach course is one to consider!
- PAC Certified Independent Coaches help your team and others take awareness and knowledge about dementia and turn it into skills.
- Coaches are individuals who work with the staff regularly to problem solve rather than to blame.
- Coaches and staff build on their relationship as well as the relationship with those for whom they are supporting.
Consultant: If you find yourself consulting and working with staff and families in situations related to dementia and want to learn strategies to move away from the fix-it model, better connect with others, and provide valuable information directly related to the person living with dementia …our Consultant course is worth considering!
- Learners will use Teepa's Six Pieces of the Puzzle to check out the big picture.
- Connection and curiosity are key when becoming a consultant.
Engagement Leader: If you are currently focused on filling each person's day with meaning beyond leisure, this may be the right fit. The focus is on expanding engagement in four areas with all staff and those living with dementia: productive, self-care, leisure, and restorative.
- The Engagement Leader Certification program is designed for those who are charged with creating opportunities for people to engage throughout the day, while living with dementia.
- In addition to dementia related awareness and knowledge, Teepa provides an in-depth look into the elements of a meaningful engagement program and filling the day with meaning.
- Learners will work to unpack Teepa's six building blocks for activities.
These two days are all about building your awareness, knowledge, and skills related to PAC.
Day one will focus more on your physical PAC Skills - Positive Physical Approach (PPA), Hand-under-Hand (HuH), GEMS identification, and more.
The second day will focus in on how those PAC Skills can be applied to the type of certification using a cycle or set of tools that are specific to that PAC certification.
Up to 24.5 hours pending approval for certain disciplines: (Nursing, Social Work, and Nursing Home Administrators (NAB))
- 7 hours approved for the pre-work videos and quizzes
- We are currently awaiting approval on our Virtual Certifications for 12 hours for our two or three-day virtual course options.
- We are also waiting on approval of the Virtual Champion courses that would offer an additional 5.5 hours for all three disciplines listed above.
**NOTE**You can receive a certificate of completion along with the outlines and objectives for our courses if you are looking for more general CEs or wish to apply in your specific discipline.
Yes, there are a few ways to get discounts with PAC. If you are already certified, you can receive 20% off of your next course. If you work with Senior Helpers or some other select agencies, you are eligible for a discount. Finally, if you host a PAC Certification event, sign up in time for the early bird discount, or attend a Teepa Talk, you are eligible for a discount.
As for payment plans, we can offer a few options that may suit your needs.
Please reach out to Diane Slovin to discuss your needs.
The short answer is no, but it would really enhance your practice to have someone to practice with!
We can cover most PAC Skills virtually, but physical support and Hand-under-Hand is really not possible on your own.
Here are our suggested times to see if you can rouse up a partner:
All courses run 9:00am - 4:30pm in the given time zone
Partners would be helpful from 11am-12pm and 2:45-3:45pm
Now that we are virtual, it can be easy to forget, but we do ask that you still wear pants of some sort 🙂 (Just joking... kind-of)
Please wear comfortable clothing and shoes as you will be doing some movement to practice your PAC Skills.
You should have received your digital materials in your Pre-Course Work tab of your member menu AND your hard-copy materials in the mail. Please have all materials ready to go for the event.
Short Answer = 21-26 hours over 6-10 weeks
Longer Answer =
- Once you register, there are seven content hours of videos to review, though it may take you longer to complete the quiz as well.
- The events will run for two or three consecutive days for PAC Certification content.
- Once you complete the two days, you will work with a PAC Mentor for up to eight weeks, for a total of three more hours, after the course to complete all certification requirements.
- You will be required to recertify each year... because we all believe that we are never done growing these PAC Skills!