13 Engagement Ideas While Practicing Social Distancing
1. Music from a TV channel or radio in the room.
2. Sorting (by color or shapes) using plastic game pieces, or something similar, or colored construction paper into folders that are pre-labeled with the color.
3. Shredding old newspapers! People love this one because it’s like popping bubble wrap "rip it! rip it... rip it good."
4. Ask higher level folks to help by cleaning their room.
5. Share Words of Encouragement: Have each person offer a phrase or words of strength or support. Use a staff-controlled dry erase board on a rolling cart to share the message from one person to others down the hall.
6. Hallway Yoga: Folks sit or stand in their doorways and 1 or 2 staff members lead in easy stretches.
7. Sing along! Same idea as hall way yoga.
8. Name that _____ (fill in the blank with animal or food or plant) set up same as hallway yoga.
9. Resident Newsletter: get a story or something they want to share from residents. Put the stories into a quick word document to look like a newspaper and pass out individually.
10. Provide each person with 8- 12 pieces of sanitized PVC pipe and connectors. Ask them to put them together into some shape. Then either:
- Gather the shapes and link them together into larger sculptures. Then take the display on the rolling cart down the hallway on a tour for visual regard.
- Take picture of each sculpture (use dark background), then take all the pictures and make a display board – then go on tour to share who did what with the same amount of pieces.
11. Traveling Carnival or Olympic games. Examples: ring toss, pom poms or paper toss on to double sided sticky tape, etc. Travels on a rolling cart while staff keeps score and come back around to the winners!
12. Spider Game: Make sure you wear gloves to create the Spider Launchers. Each person gets their own launcher and spiders for this game. Get pompoms from a craft store or craft section. Cut round balloons across their middles. Cut pool noodles into a 4-6 inch length. Stretch the open end of the balloons around the end of the pool noodles. Put a pompom down into the pool noodle and you have a spider launcher when you pull out with the balloon.
- Use a white board on a mobile cart propped up-right support. Place long strips of painter tape sticky side out. Tape them down with additional small pieces of tape. Be creative, make a spider’s web arrangement of strips. Go door to door to have each person try to get as close to the center of the web as possible
- Use a set of open ended cans or plastic containers as targets on a mobile cart. Launch the spiders at the cans. The most “In the Can” hits wins. Take the target cart door to door.