Thursday, February 15, 2018
Alzheimer's Support Network
660 Tamiami Trail N # 21
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT WILL OPEN SOON!
Hosted by: Alzheimer's Support Network
Please note: This event is scheduled for Feb 15, 2018 (8:30a-5:00p) and Feb 16, 2018 (8:00a - 5:00p).
The PAC Independent Engagement Leader Certification program is designed for activity or engagement professionals, memory care directors and other organizational leaders who are charged with creating opportunities for people to engage while living with dementia. In addition to dementia related awareness and knowledge, Teepa provides an in-depth look into the elements of a meaningful engagement program and "filling the day with meaning". Meaningful days matter to all people; this need does not change for someone who is living with dementia. Teepa explores four categories of activity that help human beings feel valued, productive, and purposeful. Learners become certified after successfully completing three phases of training: (1) online education and assessments, (2) classroom training, and (3) post training requirements.
Class size is limited to 25 participants in each location.
Recommended for: Activity Directors (Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing, and Adult Day Care settings), Memory Care Program Directors, and Home Care Professionals.
Qualifications for Registration
- Minimum of 6 months of experience in a health related field
- Minimum of 3 months dementia related experience
- Review of three or more Teepa Snow videos (online or DVD) or participation in a seminar
Phase 1 - The following must be completed prior to classroom training
- 4 hours of documented video training featuring Teepa Snow (access to trainer website provided after acceptance into the training program)
- Successful completion of assessments related to video training
- Completion of Personality Assessment and Multiple Intelligences Assessment
- Participants coordinate with a PAC Mentor to demonstrate proficiency in Positive Physical Approach™ and Hand-under-Hand™ (both featured in the online video training)
Phase 2 - Classroom Training
Day 1: The Building Blocks to a Successful Engagement Program / 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Engagement vs. Activities
- Meeting human needs – being productive, completing self-care, enjoying leisure, getting rest, and being restored
- Program building blocks
- Programming by GEMS® level - cluster group activity
- Programming for Men
- Adult Productive Programming – more than just bingo
Day 2: Your Role as an Engagement Leader / 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Options for high and low sensory needs and tolerance offerings
- Creating rhythm to the day – transitions between activities, ADLs, meals
- Introducing new people into established groups
- Identifying personality traits
- Running groups with video
- Adapting one activity based on GEMS®
- Adapting one object based on the four categories: Productive, Self-Care, Leisure, Restorative
Phase 3 - Post-training requirements
Upon completion of the classroom training, trainees have 8 weeks to complete the remaining requirements to become certified. Requirements include:
- Call with PAC Mentor to assess your programming interest and review the Engagement Planning Guide in preparation for your engagement program
- Call with PAC Mentor to review your completed Engagement Planning Guide
- Schedule and facilitate an engagement program – partnering with another person for support in development or facilitation
- Submit a 20-30 minute recorded segment of the engagement program to be reviewed by PAC Mentor
- Call with PAC Mentor to discuss recorded segment, focusing on demonstration of effective facilitation of program and adaption for the engaged cluster group by GEMS®
Fee* of $1,800 includes:
- Positive Physical Approach™ and Hand-under-Hand™ coaching from PAC Mentor
- Online access to Becoming Dementia: Aware course and Dementia Care Provisions video
- Training manual with presentation and classroom materials
- 16 hours of classroom training, facilitated by Teepa Snow
- Access to Teepa's continuing education webinars
- Post-training follow up and coaching from PAC Mentor
- Certificate of completion
- Access to Certified PAC Engagement Leader logo
- PAC Engagement Leader E-Certificate (paper certificate $25.00)
- Filling the Day with Meaning DVD
- Engagement Starter Kit Bag
Annual Re-Certification Fee is $150.
* For information on fees, please click the
button for the event you are interested in attending (located on top right of the event page.)
PAC Independent Certified Engagement Leaders are required to annually document and demonstrate continued competence in order to maintain certification.