Engagement Certification (2 Days)
What comprises a meaningful day for you?
What can you do to create meaningful days for others?
The PAC Independent Engagement Leader Certification program is designed for those who are charged with creating opportunities for people to engage throughout the day, while living with dementia. In addition to dementia related awareness and knowledge, Teepa provides an in-depth look into the elements of a meaningful engagement program and "filling the day with meaning." Teepa explores four categories of activity that help human beings feel valued, productive, and purposeful. Learners become certified after successfully completing three phases of training: (1) online education and assessments, (2) classroom training, and (3) post training requirements.
Class size is limited to 26 participants in each location.
Recommended for: Recreational Therapists, Activity Directors (Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing, and Adult Day Care settings), Memory Care Program Directors, Regional or Corporate Program Directors, and Home Care Professionals.
CERTIFICATION COURSE OVERVIEW
Teepa believes that meaningful days matter to all people; this need does not change for someone living with dementia. One of the most challenging, and oft-neglected, areas of senior services is a well-rounded engagement program. As such, this certification is one of the most challenging to implement. We’ll be here with you all the way, beginning with your pre-course work, the onsite workshop, and follow-up mentoring.
Online video training, self-assessments, and distance webinars will set you up to complete the pre-course work:
- Three and a half hours of online videos featuring Teepa Snow, with self-assessments.
- Participation in two live webinars with Teepa Snow in preparation for workshop.
- Coordinate with a PAC Mentor to discuss personal goals and interests for the training.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Positive Physical Approach™ (PPA) and Hand-under-Hand® (HuH), both featured in the online video training. (This work with the PPA™ and HuH® may be completed during webinar or with PAC Mentor.)
TWO-DAY, ONSITE CLASSROOM WORKSHOP
Teepa Snow and the PAC Mentor team lead you through interactive workshops on:
DAY 1: The Building Blocks to a Successful Engagement Program / 8:00 am-5:00 pm. Day 1 covers: engagement versus activities, meeting human needs, the building blocks of engagement programming, specialized activities for men, and the GEMS® states in the progression of dementia.
Day 2: Your Role as an Engagement Leader / 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. Day 2 covers: developing options for high and low sensory needs and tolerance, creating a rhythm to the day, adapting one activity based on GEMS®, focusing on specialty areas such as transitions, introducing new people into a group, and identifying personality traits. The content will be framed within in the four engagement categories: Productive, Self-Care, Leisure, and Restorative.
Following the workshop, participants work in small groups led by a PAC Mentor to identify their programming goals, discuss their Engagement Planning Guide, and they will review a recorded segment from their engagement session. After the completion of your small group calls, you’ll have the opportunity to meet individually with your PAC Mentor to confirm your completion of the post-training follow-up and review your level of certification.
Training and certification fee of $1,800.00 USD* includes:
Positive Physical Approach™ and Hand-under-Hand® coaching from PAC Mentor
- Online access to Filling the Day with Meaning and PAC Skills Make the Difference videos
- Training manual with presentation and classroom materials
- 16 hours (two days) of classroom training, facilitated by Teepa Snow
- Access to Teepa's continuing education webinars
- Post-training follow-up and coaching from PAC Mentor
- Access to Certified PAC Engagement Leader logo
- PAC Engagement Leader E-Certificate (paper certificate $25.00)
- Filling the Day with Meaning DVD
- Engagement Starter Kit Bag
* Fees subject to change depending upon location and other conditions. Please see our Certification Payment, Refund, and Transfer policy.
Annual Re-Certification Fee is $150.00 USD.